Thursday 7 August 2014

Helping someone with depression

I know it is hard when one of your friends or family get depressed, I had NO idea what to do when my friend started cutting and her parents didn't know do I tell them do I not.. Well it turns out one of her other friends told her instead so I didn't need to make that decision but do tell a trusted adult it is the right thing to do.

What to do:
>>Relise that depression is a serious illness, don't joke about it or expect them to just snap out of it
>>Don't take it personally depression makes it difficult for the person to communicate when others and can say things they really don't mean even to loved ones
>>Hiding the problem won't make it go away, don't cover up the problem or lie for a friend who is depressed they need help. Doing this may stop the person from getting treatment
>> Talk to them tell them that you are worried about them and want to help

What you can say that helps:
>>I know it is hard but they way you are feeling will change
>>You are not alone I am here for you
>>When you feel you want to give up just tell yourself to hold on for that extra day, minute or hour whatever you can manage
>> You are important to me. Your life is important to me
>>Tell me what I can do to help you
>> I may not fully understand how you are feeling, But I care about you and want to help
They may just brush these off or disagree with you but stay positive, they may even say something that upsets or hurts you but just ignore it don't take it the wrong way in a way they can't help it, it is just the depression talking. They may be angry t you for telling someone they need help or for you wanting to help but when they are recovered and healthy trust me they will thank you for it.

What NOT to say:
>>It's all in your head
>>We all go through times like this
>> Look on the bright side
>>You have so much to live for why would you want to die?
>>I can't do anything to help
>>Just get over it
>> Just snap out of it
>> What's wrong with you?
>> Shouldn't you be better by now?
Avoid saying any of these or anything along the lines of these as they just make the situation a whole lot worse, they won't want your help and won't trust you 

It is hard but it will always get better :)

Sources : http://www.helpguide.org/mental/living_depressed_person.htm
               www.lifewithoutanorexia.com/  - this is my al time fav blog she is soo inspirational

No comments:

Post a Comment